A Noobs Guide To Installing 3.55 CFW + Gaia Backup Manager – No Freezing !
All credit goes to the people on the scene, those who want to be named and those that dont, especially : kmeaw, flukes1, fail0verflow, geohot and Wutangrza.———————————————————————–About This GuideUPGRADING YOUR PS3 ONTO CUSTOM FIRMWARE HAS A CHANCE TO BRICK YOUR MACHINE, THIS IS THE SAFEST WAY BUT THERE IS ALWAYS A CHANCE TO BRICK AND / OR BE BANNED FROM PSN. IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO LOSE YOUR PS3 DO NOT INSTALL THIS
Due to the speed and amount of things around at the moment i wanted to try and give people a base to start froma nd hopefully answer some questions along the way. This guide is based from my experiance of installing various differant flavours of Custom Firm Ware / Packages and Backup Managers.. I currently test all of this out on a EU 120GB PS3 SLIM with the internal drive upgraded to 640GB. For better compatibilityi would recommend people who want to use a backup manager upgrade there internal drive to minimise compatibility issues. A fresh format is reccomended as it may help compatability but is not required.———————————————————————–STEP ONE – Installing CFW Onto your PS3
============ FILES NEEDED :
============ Kmeaw CFW : PS3CFW.PUP
============ MD5: 2BE5E87A22BF1E7F48E98FCABD38977B
1. This guide requires your PS3 to be on Sonys OFFICAL 3.55 firmware !! INSTALLING FROM ANY OTHER FIRMWARE IS NOT RECOMMENDED !
2. Create on the root of a USB Pen Drive (formatted in FAT 32) the following folder structure: \PS3\UPDATE\
3. Rename the Kmeaw CFW : PS3CFW.PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP and drag it onto your USB drive into the folder UPDATE, so the structure is : \PS3\UPDATE\PS3UPDAT.PUP
4. On your PS3 navigate to Settings > System Update > Update via Storage Media and install the CFW.
5. After installing the CFW under the Game section you should now see “Install package files” and “app_home/PS3_GAME/” if you see these the CFW is installed correctly.———————————————————————–STEP TWO – Installing Packages onto your PS3
============ FILES NEEDED :
============ Blackbox FTP, Gaia 2.04 and File Permission Fix : Packages.zip
1. Unzip the contents of “Packages.zip and drag them onto your USB drive
2. On your PS3 under the Games Section, select “Install Package Files” and install each of the packages :
BlackBox 1.2 Signed 3.41
3. Once all packages are installed you will see them within your Games section permantly, you now remove your USB drive.
4. Run Fix Permissions, it will launch, flash a black screen and then drop back top the XMB.
5. Run Gaia backup manager (Gaia might ask if you want to backup the BDVD before it loads up if you have a game in the PS3, just select no), the first time you run Gaia it might just launch a black screen, if it does this unplug your PS3, turn it on again, run Fix Permissions again and then launch Gaia again, This should now work.———————————————————————–STEP THREE – Backing up Games and transferring files onto your PS3
If we want to play games VIA Gaia for maximum compatibility you need a legit PS3 game ALWAYS in the drive, it doesnt matter which as long its in the PS3. GAIA Should also have the following settings “OFF” : Mem Patch, FTP Server and Direct boot
BACKING UP BDVD GAMES IN GAIA
Backup games within Gaia requires you to have the game in your PS3, Select “Copy Selected” and select yes to copy the game from BDVD to HDD0. Games typically range from 5GB to 30GB in size and will take anything from 15mins to over an hour to backup. Once backed up they will display in Gaia and should launch perfectly so long as you have a game in the PS3′s blueray driveTRANSFERRING GAMES VIA BLACKBOX FTP AND FILEZILLA
Transfering games VIA Blackbox FTP from your PC, again you should always have a PS3 game in the drive when launching these from maximum compatibility and the games must be clean rips, if they have modified eboots ect then more than likely they wont work, you want clean rips. When you launch blackbox FTP, it will display your PS3′s IP adddress, this is the address you will use in your FTP program.
Example : PS3 IP : 192.168.0.105
For this guide i will be transfering a game from FileZilla to Blackbox. With blackbox running on the screen, download, install and run Filezilla. Select > File > Site Manager. Select New Site and in HOST type in your PS3′s IP address, in PORT type 21 and select connect. Once connected your will see your PS3′s files on the right of your screen. Navigate to :
dev_hdd0 > GAMES
Drag your game you have into this folder, a PS3 game will typically look like this :
BLUS30443 > PS3_GAME – PS3_UPDATE – PS3_DISC
You copy the folder : BLUS30443 into the GAMES folder , each game will have a different name. Transfering files by FTP varies on your home network, on a typical wired connection an average sized game takes about 30 mins to transfer.
Once the game has transferred, you can exit the PS3 from blackbox FTP and under your games section run Fix Permissions, it will launch, flash a black screen and then drop back top the XMB. You can then launch Gaia and as long as you have a game in your PS3′s drive it should launch fine.
EACH TIME YOU TRANSFER A GAME YOU NEED TO EXIT OUT AND RUN FIX PERMMISSIONS BEFORE LAUNCHING IN GAIA
Updates and PSN access also works, but please remember you risk a ban.STEP FOUR – Playing Games Within Gaia
Playing games in Gaia is easy and for best compatability requires a PS3 game in your console, launch gaia from the XMB, select the game you want to play, press (X), it will drop back out to the XMB but the game you had in your PS3 has now been replaced by the once you selected within Gaia !! if the game doesnt launch ensure it is a clean rip AND OR you ran Fix Permissions after transferring it.———————————————————————–
This is currently MY experience of what the best combination of software is currently, other people have differant ways but i have found this to currently play ALL of my games without ANY problem. I take no responsibility for creating anything in thie guide, its all from my experience of what i belive to be the most compatible and thought others mind find it helpfull !———————————————————————–
Last edited by ScreamWorker; 01-21-2011 at 09:24 PM.